What is Yoga?
The word “Yoga” derives from the ancient Sanskrit language meaning “Yoke” or “Union”.
Yoga is a means of restoring a healthier balance to your body and mind enabling you to better handle the stresses and demands of modern-day life. We seek to unite the body and mind by linking movement, breath and relaxation.
Yoga is a discipline that stills the mind and helps to balance the nervous system. Regular practice of the physical poses (Asanas) and stilling the mind through breathing techniques (Pranayama) and relaxation (Nidra) will assist you in gaining an inner peace, greater vitality and an overall sense of well-being.
Yoga is beneficial to all, regardless of age, ability or fitness level. It is safe yet challenging. The peace you experience as a result of practicing yoga is due to the natural re-alignment of the body which leads to a natural re-alignment of your perception of life and yourself.
Yoga can, as examples, deliver the following benefits
- Improved and corrected posture
- Improved muscle tone and a slimmer body
- Improved flexibility and reduced stiffness
- Re-alignment of the spine and the reduction / prevention of back problems
- Improved fitness and energy levels
- Improved circulation and nervous system
- Reduced stress levels
- Improved self esteem and self confidence
- Improved resistance to illness and overall health
- A more youthful appearance